Aidpage is a
support network.
Ask for help
Offer help
Sign up now
Talking about:
5 posts
2,061 visits

Comment: ...

glasslady started this conversation
Note: This aidpage was started as a comment on "Home page of glasslady"

Contributed links:
Click here to add your comment...
 in response to Windyladawn...   

Okay, when I read your first post, I thought it said that he was a service man.  I did not realize he was OUT of the service. My bad.

Since, he was NO LONGER in the service, then I am sorry to tell you, there is no SGLI on him.  I do not know if he maintained the VGLI insurance.  To do so he would have been paying a nice sum each month to keep the policy.

Also, you would not be entitled to DIC. 

Did your husband retire from the Marine Corp?  If he retired, you would be entitled to a monthly benefit check.

The VA does offer a widow's benefit for spouses.  However, it's based on income so therefore, you could only get so much.  If social security is more than the allowed amount, then you may or may not get it.  However, do contact the service organizations (such as DAV) for more assistance.

Sorry, I could not be more helpful,



Talk to Anonymous40784
 in response to Anonymous40784...   

Thank you very much for the info.  I will see what I can do o get these benifits. I'm no sure which base. He was out of the service when we met. I know that he went to Paris island.  He did one tour in Viet Nam.

And thanks again for your comments.  Debra 

Talk to Windyladawn
 in response to Windyladawn...   

(1) Marines, like all other service members usually have SGLI insurance.  Our SGLI insurance is $400,000.(four-hundred thousand dollars).

Have you contacted the unit or SGLI to get this?  If not, do so ASAP.

(2) You are entitled to DIC.  This is where you will get a good percentage of your husband's paycheck for life or until you marry again.

If you are having problems in this matter, contact Base Legal for assistance.

(3) Did your husband die in combat?  If so, there may be additional funding.

If you are having problems navigating with any of the above entitlements, then contact a service organization such as the DAV or VFW.  They provide you with assistance.  There is no charge.

I am so sorry for the loss of your husband.  I pray that God will comfort you.

What military base was you & hubby stationed at?


Talk to Anonymous40784

March 31,2008.

My husband just passed away Janurary 11, 2008.  He was a service man, in the Marines.

We had no family or friends. He was my best friend and I was the same to him.  He left me with his social security, which is not enough to meet my monthly bills. I am still waiting on the Vetrens Ass. Who knows how long that will take. It could be a year before I hear from them.

But in the meanwhile I still need som financial HELP!  I am disabled and unable to work. But I sure wish I could do something, God knows I need it too.  Is there anyone out here tha can help me?  I have  no other place to turn but to God and all you kind folks who could assis me.  Thank you for giving me a way to express my needs. And God Bless Everyone.

Talk to Windyladawn